Thursday, August 13, 2009

Corn Guilt for Cornbread Nation

Chadzilla has an intriguing post up wondering what professional chefs should do about the evils of the hyper-industrialization of corn. Read it here.

Should chefs steer away from corn? I don't think so. Instead, it's much better to see chefs work with unique growers to promote rarely seen corn varieties.

Paradigm 080709 002

Gourmet has an on-line discussion going about this topic here. Here are three great comments on the subject:

The Corn Is Evil Viewpoint

"I tend not to eat corn. I hear so much bad news about corn that I don’t see why I should eat it, and I’m positive it’s getting into my diet in other ways that I don’t know about. I think of corn as an unnecessary vegetable that doesn’t have a lot of nutritional value. Maybe I’m just angry."
-Azon Juan

The Genetically Modified Organism Fear

"I have other friends who talk about having “corn guilt” . . . To some extent it really is guilt by association . . . there is plenty of genetically modified sweet corn around . . . and you can’t just assume that your local farmer doesn’t use GMO seed, because some small-scale farmers do."
-Christy Harrison

The Baby With The Bathwater Paradigm

"There’s nothing wrong with good corn. Maybe some people are reading a little too much into (and sometimes even misreading) the Food Inc., Omnivore’s Dilemma, etc. hysteria. But it’s probably a small population of people who are really into food. Now I just think more about the corn in my soft drink than delicious farm-stand corn."
-Jacqueline Terrebonne

All in all, I have to agree with Ms. Terrebone's thoughts on this. Organically grown, farmer's market fresh corn, what's not to like?

Nancy Reagan inspires me to "just say no" to corn guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment